Spanish Dual Language Immersion
Beginning with the 2022-2023 school year, Scotland County Schools will offer an exciting opportunity for students in Scotland County: A district wide Spanish Dual Language Immersion Magnet program. All Scotland County Schools' rising Kindergarten students may apply to participate in this Spanish Immersion Magnet that will be held at Wagram Elementary School. (Transportation will be provided to Scotland County Schools' students who do not live in Wagram Elementary School's attendance zone.)
What does Spanish Dual Language Immersion look and sound like?
Beginning in Kindergarten, students will spend 90% of their time identifying letters and sounds, reading books together, and learning how to add and subtract through the partner language of Spanish. In immersion programs, Spanish is not taught as a separate subject; instead, instruction is delivered in Spanish.
Dual Language immersion teachers are highly-qualified educators that specialize not only in elementary education but also in second language acquisition. DLI teachers follow the NC Standard Course of Study and Essential Standards just as their non-DLI counterparts do.
What are the benefits of Spanish Dual Language Immersion?
Long-term research, including studies of North Carolina students participating in Dual Language Immersion, show benefits including:
- progression toward proficiency in two languages
- enhanced self-esteem
- increased cultural sensitivity
- enhanced cognitive skills
- higher achievement that non-immersion peers on standardized tests
There are other benefits too:
- Students in language immersion programs typically develop greater flexibility in how they learn, including increased memory, increased problem-solving skills and improved attention;
- Many companies are actively seeking employees who can communicate with ease in at least two languages.
Scotland County Schools is committed to preparing students to be productive citizens in order to build and sustain a strong community!
Interested in applying for your Kindergarten student to participate? Complete this form and someone will contact you with more information.
Navigate this page for more information or contact