Thank you for your interest in substitute teaching with Scotland County Schools.
**Scotland County Schools accepts applications for Substitute Teaching from July - March, (we do not accept any applications for substitute teaching the months of April, May and June)Tips For Being A Successful Substitute TeacherBefore Class Begins:
What are the requirements to become a Substitute Teacher? You must have at least a High School Diploma along with the Effective Substitute Teacher Training (Individuals with a NC Teaching License do not have to complete the Effective Substitute Teacher Training)
- How do i get the Effective Substitute Teacher Training? Please click here → Effective Substitute Teacher Training
- If I am a retired teacher/or a teacher no longer working what do i need to do to become a substitute teacher? Please come see Sara Wilkerson at the A.B. Gibson Center
- Dress professionally and be well groomed.
- Be on time. Report at least 15 minutes prior to your assigned time.
- If you are unable to fulfill the assignment previously agreed to, notify the school contact person immediately.
- Sign in at the office upon arrival.
- Locate the teacher's substitute packet. Take time to review the information contained in this packet.
After Class Ends:
- Always follow the teacher's lesson plans as closely as possible.
- Keep accurate attendance reports.
- Familiarize yourself with fire and emergency instructions.
- Introduce yourself to the class and write your name on the board.
- Learn as many of the students' names as possible.
- Be ethical and professional at all times in relationships with students, staff, and parents. (Never use abusive language or discuss your personal life with students.)
- Enrich the instructional program with information that is pertinent to the students' subject.
- Remember that professional matters should be discussed only with those who administer and supervise your teaching.
- Remain with the class at all times. Do not leave students unsupervised.
- Remember that all injuries or cases of illness occurring during the day must be reported to the principal or his designee immediately.
- Remember that you are expected to fulfill any duty assigned by the contact person.
- Leave your name, phone number, and a brief report of the day's activity for the regular teacher's use.
Daily Rates of Pay for Substitute TeachersThe following table list the daily rates of pay for Substitute Teachers:Class ACurrent Teaching Certificate
- Make sure the classroom, equipment, and records are left in order when you leave.
- Let school administrators know if any problems arose that may need intervention. Serious occurrences must be reported as soon as possible.
- Return keys and materials to teacher's mailbox or contact person.
- Check with the contact person to see if you will be needed the next day.
(Copy must be on file in Human Resources Office)$103.00Class BNo Teaching Certificate$80.00