• What is Scotland County Schools EC PK?

    The Exceptional Children's PK program provides services for:

    1. Children ages 3-5 who demonstrate a developmental delay.
    2. Children who have been tested and demonstrate a delay, which requires specially designed instruction under state criteria, in one or more of the following areas: speech, social-emotional, cognitive, physical, and adaptive skill areas. 


    How are children referred?

    Children who may be in need of these services are referred to Scotland County Schools.  Referrals notify Scotland County Schools of a possible need. The referral can be received through various sources, which include but are not limited to:  teachers, daycares, doctors, agencies, and parents.  A referral is made by simply notifying the school system of possible delay concerns.  A referral is accepted in writing or by email.

     The parent/guardian will be contacted if notification is received from a teacher, daycare, agency, or doctor.


    What does the referral process entail?

    Once a referral is made, the Exceptional Children's PreK Specialist/Facilitator will schedule a mutually convenient meeting with the parent/guardian to address concerns and determine what actions are needed.  As a team, at that meeting, it may be decided that an initial evaluation is needed to determine if a delay is present and requires specially designed instruction. 

    The team may also determine that testing is not needed based on information presented at the time of the meeting, meaning no delay is suspected, or there may be enough existing data present to make a determination (ex: if the parent has outside data/evaluations that meets all criteria).


    What happens after a child is tested?

    Once the referral process is complete, if a child qualifies for services with the Exceptional Children's program based on criteria set by the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction, the team will work together to create an individualized education program to address all determined needs. 


    Who do I contact?

    If you or someone you know has specific questions about the Exceptional Children's program in Scotland County or has concerns about a child, please contact:

    LaQuasia Cousar- EC PreK Specialist/Facilitator

     Email: lcousar@scotland.k12.nc.us

    Phone: (910) 276-1138 ext. 316


    Frequently Asked Questions

    What is the difference between the Exceptional Children's Preschool Program and NC Pre-K?

    The Exceptional Children's Preschool program provides special education services for children as indicated on their Individualized Education Program (IEP). Children can be eligible for these services beginning at age 3. This program is separate from the NC Pre-K program and only serves children who have been determined to display developmental delays and require specially designed instruction.  This specially designed instruction may be provided on a continuum of services that may be at home, in daycare, or through school.  Children who are four years of age by August 31 are eligible to apply to the NC Pre-K program through a different process.  


    What do I do if I moved here from another county or state and my child has an IEP?

    Call our district office at (910) 276-1138 ext. 316. We will meet with you and make the necessary arrangements to obtain your child's Exceptional Children's file from the state or county to which you have moved to and determine the appropriate special education services that your child qualifies for under NC Guidelines.


    Is there a program for 3-year-old children who do not have an IEP?

    There is not a separate program; however, our Peer Pals are a part of our EC PK program. Please select the link “Peer Pals” for more information.


    For general information about Peer Pals, click here

    For Peer Pals Guidelines and Expectations, click here